Wednesday 26 October 2011

The Farmers Market

If you read yesterday's post you'd correctly assume that this blog should be about Port Meadow and nature. However, I have a problem with commitment. Can't buy new boots without the family's approval, can't buy a new shirt without a support team, wouldn't even dream of buying a new purse without a 1 month "waiting period", in which I attempt to envision the new purse in my life.

You get the picture. I'm a crazy woman.

Will likes to say that marrying him took all the commitment I ever had right out of me. The man could be right.

So, after mentally committing to tramp through Port Meadow today, in search of some glorious fall foliage, I instead woke up, changed my mind, called my friend Erin and arranged to meet her and the kids at the weekly Farmers Market in City Centre. Because I'm crazy like that.


Would you look at all that glorious color?

The Gloucester Green Farmers Market happens every Wednesday and I work every Wednesday--except for this one. I had no idea what I had been missing! Giant red peppers-- 4 for a £1. Ten beets for £1. Dark green bunches of asparagus for £1.50. The produce looked amazing!


I never knew the custard apple existed before today.


Wish I had room in my bike basket for one of these, too, but the beets (all 10 of them) would have been a bit cramped

And then there were the flower stands. I don't think I realized how much I would like an apartment with a balcony until I saw these beauties.


The artsy version (or the version where Ella put her finger over the flash).


Here they are, in all their colorful, wispy glory.


I suppose I could keep a cactus alive on my window sill, but they're not as dreamy as the purple lavender.


My adorable assistant photographer, who provided the background music to my first Farmers Market experience by singing "Skinny Marinky Dinky Dink" as we walked in and out of the stalls.




So there you have my first venture to the Farmers Market. Port Meadow will just have to wait for another day. Until then, here's my one fall-ish photo that I snapped on the way back to the bus stop.








2 comments:

  1. Not Port Meadow, but I doubt Helen Keller or anyone else could find any fault with your choice of activities -- a beautiful celebration of shapes and colors! (and the eating ain't bad, either, I'm sure!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What will you do with 10 beets? Your inner chef must be busy!

    ReplyDelete