Tuesday 31 January 2012

My Kind of Marathon



The frolicking kind...


Team, let's be real honest here for a minute.

I will never run a marathon.

And I don't even want to hear all of that "never say never!" baloney because it's true. Some people were innately designed to fear physical pain and discomfort, and I gladly and willingly throw my lot in with that crowd. As much as I enjoyed my foray into running last spring/summer, and as much as I fully intend to return to my running ways once this dang cold weather leaves for good, the whole marathon thing ain't gonna happen. Unless, of course, it is a....

FAMILY FUN MARATHON!!!

What is a family fun marathon, you ask? First of all, it has absolutely nothing to do with running. In fact, it has absolutely nothing to do with physical endurance of any kind... unless you count the eating of many, many scones.


Refueling on a scone break in Bath.

The Family Fun Marathon, according to the CED (that's the Caitlin English Dictionary) is "any family gathering, congregation, or the like of great, or greater than normal, length or duration, and in which great quantities of frivolities or joyous celebrations occur." Welcome to January, 2012 at the Brians!

Let's break that down: "any family gathering..."

Family gathering in front of Bath Abbey.


Family gathering in Port Meadow.

Gathering? Check.

Next, "of great, or greater than normal, length or duration..."

19 days. Check.

Finally, "in which great quantities of frivolities or joyous celebrations occur."


Siblings in London. Check.


Siblings at White Horse Vale. Check.


Bath with the parents. Check.


So who needs 26.2 miles when you can participate in a Family Fun Marathon instead? Not this girl.


2 comments:

  1. You're so clever! It was such a cozy, fun visit with you and Will. I can't wait to see you again. I "need" to experience Oxford in the Spring and Fall! XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ready to "run" the next one!

    ReplyDelete