Wednesday 1 December 2010

Because I Can


Readers! I have just realized that I completely forgot to post my list of things-I-am-thankful-for-here-in-Oxford! And even though it is December and Thanksgiving was last week, I'm going to post it now. Can I do this extremely belated post? See title. Oh yes I can.

1. Modern Technology.
Merciful heavens where would I be without modern technology? I'll tell you where--stuck on a freezing cold island thousands of miles away from family and dear friends, relying on pigeons or ponies or something like that to hear news from my beloved homeland. Why yes, I am the dramatic first born child, however did you know? Even though I am married to a man who would gladly give up such modern luxuries as cell phones, laptops and modern medicine and move to the seclusion of an Amish community I must say that we both have loved how easy it is to keep in touch with you wonderful people.


Chatting with the parents on iChat!


These people have a 24 hour online web cam. We stand in front of it and wave like idiots seemingly to nobody. Later, we get excited emails from relatives and requests to "do it again!" and comments such as "man you guys looked awkward!" (thanks, Pete).


2. Starbucks.
Good news, my coffee-addict friends. Starbucks is in Oxford! Yes, their drinks are even more ridiculously overpriced here when you figure the dollar to pound ratio, however, their wifi got us through the first week here. And for that I am eternally thankful. I am also eternally thankful for their grande caramel macchiato, despite Will's attempt to wean me of them by sneaking the Starbucks nutrition pamphlet into my latest read.


This place could probably be considered our first home in Oxford.


Like I said, eternally grateful...


3. The Clarendon Foundation.
This seems to be an appropriate time to remind you all of how wickedly smart my hubby is. :) Because he's brilliant. And I am ever so thankful to the Clarendon Foundation for recognizing said brilliance and paying for Will to come to Oxford and for supporting us financially for the next three years. If Mr. Clarendon were still around I'd hug him... assuming that there ever was a Mr. Clarendon. Mrs. Clarendon? Who knows. Will says I could just google it but I fear it would break my "flow."


The Clarendon Foundation, along with paying for England, has a mall named after them. So they give us money and then I can go shopping!


4. Mr. Smarty Pants Himself.
He's smart and handsome and runs out to the drug store early in the freezing cold morning to buy me all of the items on my "no-I-can-cure-myself-of-this-cold-without-modern-medicine-just-buy-me-Vitamin-C-and-Cat's-Claw-Tea" list (and it's working, thankyouverymuch!). I have been incredibly blessed in marrying my best friend (and in my humble and unbiased opinion, probably the best guy ever) and this adventure, though challenging at times, makes me appreciate him all the more. I mean, how can you not love this face?


Wait...maybe not this face...


THIS is the face!


5. Overseas Business Trips.
That's right--I support the decision to outsource American labor to other countries! Especially when it brings my Daddy to Oxford. :) Dad's visit was such fun and I can't wait for the next one. Especially if he brings me Mom. Hint hint.


I have a whole list of new adventures for us next time you come, Pops. But on one condition...



BRING MOM! That's right, Ted, I have demands.


I have many more things that I am thankful for; however, I have run out of pictures that match my thanks. So for now, the thankfulness (and this post) ends here.






No comments:

Post a Comment