Thursday 26 May 2011

Finally!!


Readers, up until 11:18 am London time today, I have been thwarted by the blog gods. For some strange reason my blog wouldn't let me sign in and create new posts. I had started blogging on Thursday, left the blog to run some errands, came back and couldn't access my posts. Nothing I tried seemed to help... I began looking at new websites, thinking that I'd just have to forget about this blog and create a new one somewhere else. Finally, whatever wrench that was located in the proverbial internet works came free of it's own accord and I am back. Sometimes I hate technology as much as Will does. :) So without further ado, here is Thursday's post. Sorry for the delay!


Happy Thursday, lovely readers! It's a windy, rainy day here in Oxford and, after shirking my morning run for neighbor-annoying indoor exercise (again, see weather conditions), I am curled up on the sofa ready to regale you with pictures and stories from our weekend.

Sidenote: I never thought I'd want to hibernate indoors again after our long, dark winter here in England... but this Wizard-of-Oz-like wind is turning me into a couch potato. Yesterday I narrowly avoided being hit by a small tree branch that the wind was whipping through the air while riding my bike. England, this is not acceptable. It's almost June--get with the summer program--stat!

Last Friday Will and I hopped up to London to rendezvous with the Deaux sisters--friends of Will's since their freshman year at Collierville High. Emily was in London for business and her sister, Tracey, and mom tagged along for a girls trip. We had such a great time catching up that "lunch" lasted over three hours! Will hadn't seen them since his parents moved from Collierville four years ago and we laughed at the idea of reuniting with Tennessee friends half way around the world. I loved hearing stories about highschool Will and the girls were so much fun to get to know. To make it an even smaller world, Tracey works with my lovely cousin, Rachel Hess, in Memphis!


Why, fancy running into you two in London!


I made them recreate the awkward homecoming pose from junior year for old times' sake.

Such a great afternoon.


After saying goodbye to the Deauxs we headed off to Harrods. This, mind you, is further proof that my husband loves me. Will H-A-T-E-S hates malls but agreed to poke around in Harrods because he L-O-V-E-S loves me. Or because he knew I'd keep bugging him every time we came to London. Po-tay-to po-tah-to. :) We probably spent around 3 hours wandering this extravagant store... and we could have easily spent another day (or five) exploring!


Because everyone needs a £1 million chandelier in their foyer.


A little bling for your pampered pooch! And when I say a "little" bling I mean more bling than my engagement and wedding rings combined. That is one spoiled dog.


Here we have the £1,495 stuffed elephant that my parents so cruelly withheld from me as a child. Technically I didn't know it existed until last week so I guess that means I've been retroactively scarred for life by their stinginess. :)


Pharoah got tired of the Egyptian politics and hot weather and retired to England, where he now spends his days greeting the shoppers at Harrods.


I am convinced that Kate Middleton was inspired to decorate Westminster Abbey with trees after shopping in the perfume room.


At the end of our time in Harrods I am pleased to report that Will said (and I quote) that he "actually enjoyed himself in a mall." Well done, London, well done.

Saturday was a pretty basic Saturday--filled with the chores and errands that we pushed aside to frolic all day Friday. Sunday, however, brought us another fabulous British experience. Ladies and gentleman, I give you punting:


"Oh Captain, my Captain..." ;)

Our neighbors, the Forrests, had reserved a punting boat Sunday afternoon and invited us to try out this water adventure with them. After several 360˚ turns while Will tried to figure out how to propel us forward (it's harder than it looks, people!) we were off down the Cherwell River!

We were even able to relax... after the initial navigational glitches.


The view was breathtaking. It's easy to understand how stories like "Alice in Wonderland" and "The Wind in the Willows" were written here.


Will took a well-deserved break and let Josh punt for a while.


My little buddy. :)


This picture wasn't taken on the river but I just had to include it! Ella and Jackson are holding hands while riding on Josh and Will's shoulders--those sweeties!


Another super cute photo from that afternoon: we stopped by an old-fashioned candy store on our way home and Jackson and Ella got face-sized lollipops. Ella also got a ride in Will's bicycle basket. Aren't they adorable?


We are now huge punting fans and can't wait to go back on the river. This activity has officially been added to our list of things-to-do-when-entertaining-visitors. Parents, Laura--get excited!

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that Laura inherited the sea-sick, car-sick, motion sickness gene from me? Two out of three of your visitors will bring small bags but....we HAVE to experience this!

    ReplyDelete