Monday 30 May 2011

Just A Little Theme Music


The Hesses are song people. You could almost call it our superpower. Some of us have the uncanny ability to remember all words to all songs ever heard (Dad and me) and some of us have the ability to hear a song and pick up a stringed instrument and quickly play it (Pete).
Some of us have the ability to remember random songs heard once in childhood even when sung in a different language (me again!) while some of us have great taste in finding new songs (Laura). Some of us have the ability to turn a song into a hilarious new tune with new words without even meaning to (this person shall remain unnamed... sort of).

I like to think of life in theme music. I have different songs or artists that match different phases of life: the All-American Rejects for senior year of high school, Patrick O'Reilly McKenzie Muldoon for my entire second year of life (my poor, long-suffering parents), The Eagles "Desperado" CD for that one Christmas in Alabama ('05? '06?), and the list goes on. Fortunately for me, Will is a music-loving guy and readily agreed that this Feist song was perfect for our year-one-of-marriage song. I can't tell you how many times we danced to this in our New Orleans apartment kitchen.


I got a man to stick it out
And make a home from a rented house
And we'll collect the moments one by one
I guess that's how the future's done


Today is our 2nd wedding anniversary. What have we learned in two years? Well, if our song choice for year two is any indication we're a lot funnier, a lot more relaxed, and a teensy bit more irreverent when it comes to holy matrimony. ;) It perfectly captures our poverty, our love of family, our best friend-ness, and our snuggling skills.





My Mom always said to marry my best friend.


She's a wise woman.

Happy 2 years, Handsome! I love being your wife.


2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary Caitlin & Will, and many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto, y'all -- we love you!!

    ReplyDelete