Saturday 6 November 2010

Air Raid or Number Two?

This just in: Brits are CRAZY about fireworks. Capital C-R-A-Z-Y crazy.

I'm not exaggerating, folks. The first time I heard them I thought "gunshots?" but then I remembered that I wasn't working in Central City New Orleans anymore. Fireworks just seemed like an illogical guess because it was mid-October. What could we possibly be celebrating in mid-October?? I decided to investigate. So far all I have found is British Apple Day (Oct 21, I kid you not), Daylight Savings (Oct 25), and Halloween. While I am pro-apples, I don't think they are exactly firework-worthy. Maybe the British like them a lot more than I do. Daylight Savings time I could maybe get behind with a little more enthusiasm--I am, after all, a big fan of sleep--but fireworks wake people up! Counterproductive. Halloween is highly uneventful here, so that can't be it. The only two logical explanations that I am left with are 1) The Germans are bombing England again, or 2) Uncle David's toilet training technique has crossed the Atlantic.
For those of you unaware of the David Dueland potty training method, let me assure you that it is a highly successful strategy. Parents would be wise to attempt it as they broach this stage with their 2 year olds. It is a very simple 2-step process. Step 1: convince your toddler to use the toilet. Step 2: reward successful toilet use with fireworks. I myself have witnessed this technique on one family vacation. You just can't make stuff like that up.
Personally, I'm leaning towards explanation number two. There are a lot of little munchkins running around Oxford (more so than Germans, anyway). What else could explain the 2 hour show that has been going on this evening? Guy Fawkes Day was yesterday and Stir Up Sunday (the traditional day to make your Christmas pudding--don't even think about trying it before November 22nd!) is about two weeks away. No, gentle readers, I believe I have reached the logical conclusion to this riddle. It would explain the random bursts of explosions we hear for a few minutes almost every night. And tonight's ongoing event? Most likely an anti-diaper rally.

1 comment:

  1. Successful? We'll have to have Dave & Elizabeth weigh in on that! And the fireworks that night were Roman Candles! It was great!

    ReplyDelete