Thursday 4 November 2010

Things Brits Do Better


Since our arrival I have been compiling a list of the wonderfully unique pieces of life that Oxford does so well. Actually, Oxford does them better. Most of them are silly and trivial little details but I have very much enjoyed noticing the beauty in all things great and minute in Oxford. I hope you do, too. These are not the only things Brits do better--just five? Come on now, let's give the redcoats a little more credit than that! I plan to sprinkle these successes throughout my blogging entries. Enjoy Part 1.

1. Doors. Nothing says "Home Sweet Home" like these beauts.




Secret Garden?







Emergency Access. Seriously?


2. Chimneys. This is Peppy's chimney. How delightfully Mary Poppins!



3. Street Signs/Street Names. So friendly that I almost don't mind getting lost.






4. Public Service Signs. Not only are they much more elegant than our gigantic NO SMOKING monstrosities, but in the case of this littering one they also show you what TO do! Or which direction to go after using the emergency exit. How very helpful of them.




5. Bus Stops. Could it get any happier?
Public transportation--tres chic!






1 comment:

  1. Keep it coming! I really enjoy your thoughts and adventures. I can place myself right there with you as I read.

    ReplyDelete