Wednesday 24 November 2010

Thanksgiving Eve


Twas the night before Thanksgiving and all through the flat
Not a creature was stirring, not even a rat...

...And I'm going to end that gem of a poem right there. You're welcome. :)

I have been the Scrooge of Thanksgiving for as long as I can remember. As a kid I was always underwhelmed by Thanksgiving. Considering the perks associated with all the other national holidays what did Thanksgiving really have to offer me? Halloween had costumes and candy, Easter had egg hunts and candy, and Christmas with its presents, lights...and candy in my stocking (noticing a theme yet?). Thanksgiving had orange foods, dead birds, boring football (ok, it was boring at the time), and no presents. Not to mention all the messy dishes the huge meal left. And pilgrims? Really? Thanksgiving was lame.

In college Thanksgiving became a little more agreeable--mainly because it signified that Christmas break was almost here! I forced my roommates to let me put up Christmas decorations before we went home for Thanksgiving break so that we could enjoy them that much longer. I considered the last Friday of November to be a larger cause of celebration because I was FINALLY allowed to pull out all the Christmas decorations (usually around 8 am in the morning, Thanksgiving dishes still in the sink and on the counters. Sorry, Mom!).



It's interesting what living in a foreign country will do to you.



Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day and I couldn't be more excited or nostalgic. Will and I are hosting a small Thanksgiving dinner at our place and our American neighbors, Josh and Erin, and their two kiddos, Jackson and Ella, are helping us celebrate. Erin and I have planned Thanksgiving crafts for the kids, I'll be spending most of tomorrow whipping up some Thanksgiving treats, and I have spent a large portion of time today perusing the internet looking for a Thanksgiving playlist to set the mood. All of a sudden it feels so important and so home-y and so wonderful to have this holiday. And I have so very much to be thankful for.


For the beauty of the earth,



For the beauty of the skies,



For the love which from our birth




Over and around us lies,




Lord of all, to Thee we raise

This our hymn of grateful praise.



5 comments:

  1. #1 i remember those debates about when christmas decorations could go up. i like to think i kept you in check a little bit. if you had it your way, it would've been christmas in our apartment all year long ;)
    #2 ADORABLE picture of you, Pete and Laura as kiddos :D
    #3 i dunno how you feel about adam sandler, but he has a thanksgiving song you should check out. it's completely random but kinda funny

    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps: there's nothing that will bring you together with your ex-pat buds like celebrating american holidays in a foreign place. we couldn't find a turkey in india so we cooked a few tiny chickens that were basically just skin and bones. you'll laugh later and no one else will get it except for the people who were there. i'm still laughing at our attempts to make india homey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. miss you. did you see i wanted to change our double-date chat to Friday? Facebook me back. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you got presents this Thanksgiving! I'm so glad to hear your boxes arrived on this special day. Love your blogs and you both! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS Thanksgiving dishes in the sink and on the counters the next day?

    ReplyDelete